Montgomery in Montgomery County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Reuben Jonathan Palmer
(January 18, 1829 - March 20, 1868)
Born in Appomattox County, Va., son of Reuben DeJarnette and Martha P. (Christian) Palmer; he was educated at Randolph-Macon College. Moved to Texas in 1856.
A Montgomery lawyer; served in 9th Legislature, State of Texas, and in Secession Convention, 1861.
Married Frances Winifred, the daughter of Robert G. and Agnes (Wood) Branch. Had three children: Robert Guerrant, Cora Christian (later Blanding), and Edward Gray.
Erected 1972 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 7894.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil.
Location. 30° 23.33′ N, 95° 41.864′ W. Marker is in Montgomery, Texas, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Pond Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker is located within the Montgomery Old Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 309 Pond Street, Montgomery TX 77356, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Methodist Church Site and Memorial to Pioneer Circuit Riders (within shouting distance of this marker); The Old Methodist ChurchyardWilliam S. Taylor (within shouting distance of this marker); Methodist Parsonage (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Montgomery United Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); John M. Wade (within shouting distance of this marker); Montgomery Baptist Church Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lake Creek Settlement (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Montgomery.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 14, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 140 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 14, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.