Wichita Falls in Wichita County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Wichita County Water Improvement Districts No. 1 & No. 2
In 1919, Water Improvement District No. 1 organized, consisting of 15,543 acres including all of Wichita Falls and areas to the north, south and east. In 1920, District No. 2 formed, encompassing 76,784 acres west and northeast of the city. Under the leadership of Kemp, Lake Kemp and Lake Diversion, two large reservoirs with a gravity irrigation system, were constructed between 1921 and 1924. The completed system provided water for irrigation and municipal purposes, as well as a means of flood control for the city of Wichita Falls from periodic flooding of the Wichita River.
Although co-owned and operated on
Erected 2008 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15526.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1919.
Location. 33° 54.013′ N, 98° 28.909′ W. Marker is in Wichita Falls, Texas, in Wichita County. Marker is at the intersection of East Scott Avenue (Business U.S. 287) and Kentucky Avenue, on the left when traveling north on East Scott Avenue. Marker is located near the main front entrance of the Wichita County Water Improvement office. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 402 East Scott Avenue, Wichita Falls TX 76301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within The Wichita Falls Bank Robbery of 1896 (approx. one mile away); John F. O'Donohue (approx. one mile away); The Zale Legacy (approx. one mile away); J. A. Kemp Wholesale Grocery Building (approx. one mile away); Site of Gorsline's Fashion Livery Stable (approx. one mile away); Site of St. James Hotel (approx. 1.1 miles away); Joseph Hudson Barwise (approx. 1.1 miles away); Texas Governor James V. Allred (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wichita Falls.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 17, 2019. It was originally submitted on January 15, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 208 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 15, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.