Fairhope Museum of History
A gift to the people of Fairhope from
The Fairhope Single Tax Corporation
& the City of Fairhope
Dedicated April 5, 2008
The Front Section of this structure was carefully restored to reflect its original use as Fairhope's first City Hall, built by Forester & Sons in 1928. This complex contained the police department, which had two jail cells and a small office occupied by one policeman. The adjacent office housed the City Clerk, while the meeting room served as the City Council Chambers. The large bay on the north side contained the fire engine, manned, then as now, by dedicated volunteers.
This restoration and addition are a
joint project of the Fairhope Single Tax
Corporation and the City of Fairhope, completed to celebrate the City's centennial, 1908-2009.
Renovation and new construction were done by Thomas Construction and engineered by Cowles, Murphy, Glover & Associates.
The architect was Ben Commings
Fairhope Single Tax Corporation
Lawrence (Larry) Thomas
C. Michale Arnold
C.O. (Mac) McCawley
Andrew S. Midkiff
Leigh S. Rogers
Ralph Brown Jennings
City of Fairhope
Timothy M. Kant
Roger C. Gentle
Michael A. Ford
Debbie W. Quinn
Daniel R. Stankoski
Donald H. Barrett
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Charity & Public Work • Law Enforcement. A significant historical date for this entry is April 5, 2005.
Location. 30° 31.425′ N, 87° 54.164′ W. Marker is in Fairhope, Alabama, in Baldwin County. Marker is at the intersection of 24 N Section Street and Fairhope Avenue, on the right when traveling north on 24 N Section Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fairhope AL 36532, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Craig Turner Sheldon (here, next to this marker); Land, Capital, Labor (approx. half a mile away); Tears of Sorrow (approx. half a mile away); Marietta Johnson (approx. half a mile away); Welcome to the Fairhope Pier (approx. 0.7 miles away); Confederate Rest Cemetery
Credits. This page was last revised on March 2, 2019. It was originally submitted on January 19, 2019, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. This page has been viewed 282 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 19, 2019, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.