Gainesville in Alachua County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Built in 1926 as the Mechanical Engineering Building, this was the first major project of Rudolph Weaver in his role as architect to the Florida
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Wars, US Indian.
Location. 29° 38.976′ N, 82° 20.506′ W. Marker is in Gainesville, Florida, in Alachua County. Marker is on Union Road 0.1 miles east of Newell Drive, on the right when traveling east. Marker is located in front of the Walker Hall. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1489 Union Road, Gainesville FL 32611, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Grinter Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Mechanic Arts (within shouting distance of this marker); Latin American Studies (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Marshall M. Criser (about 300 feet away); African Studies (about 300 feet away); Peabody Hall (about 300 feet away); University Auditorium (about 400 feet away); Children’s Literature Collection (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gainesville.
Also see . . .
1. Col. Edgar Smith Walker. Walker fought in the Indian Wars and was subsequently honored by membership in the Order of Indian Wars. He was retired for disability after the Spanish American War, but served nonetheless during World War I as a recruiting officer for the state of Florida. Walker served the University of Florida as Commandant of Cadets and Professor of Military Science from 1908 until 1919. Although Walker retired from serving as Commandant of Cadets in 1919, he continued to teach on a part time basis up until 1945, when he would have been 87. (Submitted on January 21, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Walker Hall, University of Florida, Gainesville. Walker Hall, originally known as the Mechanical Engineering Building, is an historic classroom building on the campus of the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida, in the United States. Contributing Building - University of Florida Campus Historic District - National Register of Historic Places NRIS #89000322. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places on April 20, 1989. (Submitted on January 21, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 22, 2019. It was originally submitted on January 20, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 107 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on January 20, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 2. submitted on January 21, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.