Richardsville in Culpeper County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
John Lederer and Party
on the Rappahannock River
John Lederer and Party
of the first white men entered
August 20, 1670
Marker presented by
Virginia State Society
Thomas, Lord Culpeper Chapter
Colonial Dames XVII Century
November 6, 1983
Erected 1983 by Virginia State Society and Thomas, Lord Culpeper Chapter, Colonial Dames XVII Century.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Exploration. In addition, it is included in the The Colonial Dames XVII Century, National Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is November 1865.
Location. 38° 23.997′ N, 77° 43.726′ W. Marker is in Richardsville, Virginia, in Culpeper County. Marker is at the intersection of Eleys Ford Road (County Route 610) and Richards Ferry Road (County Route 619), on the right when traveling west on Eleys Ford Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Richardsville VA 22736, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The "Enchanted Castle" at Germanna, circa 1720-1750 (approx. Germanna (approx. 3.3 miles away); Germanna Ford (approx. 3.3 miles away); Culpeper County / Orange County (approx. 3.3 miles away); a different marker also named Germanna Ford (approx. 3.3 miles away); Grant Takes Command (approx. 3.3 miles away); Fort Germanna (approx. 3.3 miles away); Alexander Spotswood's Enchanted Castle (approx. 3.3 miles away).
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Markers for John Lederer's Explorations.
Also see . . .
1. The Discoveries of John Lederer. Archival copy of a text by Sir William Talbot published in 1671 (Submitted on October 23, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. John Lederer. (Submitted on October 23, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 23, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 935 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 23, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.