Tybee Island in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 025-64.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Landmarks • Notable Places. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1749.
Location. 32° 0.907′ N, 80° 52.72′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tybee Island GA 31328, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cockspur Island Lighthouse (approx. half a mile away); Long Range Artillery Duel (approx. half a mile away); A Turning Point In History (approx. half a mile away); Federal Batteries on Tybee Island (approx. half a mile away); 5,275 Shots & Shells in 30 Hours (approx. one mile away); The Breached Wall (approx. one mile away); A Devastating Bombardment (approx. one mile away); Federal Siege Batteries (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tybee Island.
Regarding Lazaretto. A lazaretto or lazaret is a quarantine station for maritime travellers. Lazarets can be ships permanently at anchor, isolated islands, or mainland buildings. Until 1908, lazarets were also used for disinfecting postal items, usually by fumigation.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. Lazaretto Quarantine Station - Essington, PA
Also see . . .
1. New Georgia Encyclopedia. Atlantic Slave Trade to Savannah The voyage across the Atlantic Ocean from West Africa to Savannah lasted between four and six months. The duration of the voyage combined with (Submitted on October 25, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
2. Tinicum Township, Pa, near Philadelphia. Historical Marker Recognizes the Lazaretto. The text on the marker will read, "Lazaretto Quarantine Station -- Delaware -- It is believed to be the last remaining quarantine station in the United States. For much of the 19th century, it was where many Europeans were first introduced to the United States." (Submitted on October 25, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 25, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,495 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 25, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.