Columbus in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Lane Avenue Bridges
A Brief History
In the late 1800's a steel truss was constructed across the Olentangy River at Lane Avenue. Its primary function was to gain access across the Olentangy River from the main campus of The Ohio State University to the agricultural land on the west side.
Although the great flood of 1913 destroyed or damaged numerous bridges, businesses, and houses along the Olentangy and Scioto Rivers, the old steel truss at the Lane Avenue crossing survived. After the King Avenue Bridge was completed in 1914, plans for the replacement of the Lane Avenue Bridge began.
In 1917 a three-lane arch bridge was designed by Wilbur J. Watson. It consisted of four 97-foot reinforced concrete arch spans, with earth fill and closed spandrel walls. It also featured exposed aggregate concrete railings and commemorative plaques.
Construction was completed in 1919 by the E. Elford Construction Company, who was also responsible for building the old King Avenue Bridge and the McCracken Power Building on The Ohio State University Campus.
The arch bridge was demolished in November 2002 during construction of the new suspension bridge.
Lane Avenue Bridge
H. Sage Valentine County Auditor
John Peake County Engineer
Wilbur J. Watson W. P. Brown
Consulting Engineers - Cleveland
C. C. Hurlbut Resident Engineer
E. Elford Construction
The Lane Avenue Bridge
Opened November 14, 2003
The Lane Avenue Bridge over the Olentangy River is the second cable-stayed suspension bridge constructed in Franklin County. The structure is 370 feet long, the twin support towers rise 165 feet above the water and the deck is 112 feet wide. The primary structural material consists of 10,000 cubic yards of reinforced concrete. Additional structural members include twin 52-ton steel cable anchors encased in the top of the towers and 500 tons of structural steel in the deck support system. The 8½ miles of cables suspending the bridge deck consist of multiple 270,000 psi high-strength steel strand bundles, with a high-density polyethylene sheathing. This bridge stands as a model of engineering excellence and good civic design for he benefit of our community.
Franklin County Engineer:
Dean C. Ringle P.E., P.S.
Mark D. Sherman, P.E.
Franklin County Construction Team;
Bridge Engineer: James Pajk P.E.
Construction Engineer: Ralph Crabb P.E.
Project Engineers; Cornell Robertson P.E., Scott Roe P.E.
Construction Inspectors: Rick Cardi, Gary St. Clair
Franklin County Commissioners:
Dewey R. Stokes Arlene Shoemaker Mary Jo Kilroy
Jones-Stuckey Ltd., Inc.
C.J. Mahan Construction Company
Grove City, Ohio
Erected by Franklin County, Ohio.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & Viaducts • Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles. A significant historical month for this entry is November 2002.
Location. 40° 0.391′ N, 83° 1.286′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of Lane Avenue and Olentangy River Road, on the right when traveling west on Lane Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus OH 43210, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Freedom Brutus (approx. Ό mile away); General Curtis E. LeMay (approx. Ό mile away); A. B. Graham and the 4-H Movement / Nationwide and Ohio Farm Bureau 4-H Center (approx. 0.4 miles away); Coach Woody Hayes (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker Coach Woody Hayes (approx. half a mile away); Jesse Owens (approx. half a mile away); The Jesse Owens Track (approx. half a mile away); Wilbur H. Siebert Collection (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 25, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,220 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 25, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.