Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Iberia in Iberia Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

Church Alley

Circa 1837

 
 
Church Alley Marker image. Click for full size.
February 9, 2019
1. Church Alley Marker
Inscription.  
Frédéric Henri Dupérier, under whose leadership New Iberia was incorporated in 1839, along with his wife, Hortense Bérard, donated the land for St. Peter's Catholic Church in 1837. Dupérier asked that this alley remain open for his family's convenience when they walked to church from his home just north of Bayou Teche. Dupérier's home was purchased by the Sisters of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel for use as a convent, day and boarding school in 1871. This property served as a permenant location for their school originally opened in 1870. Following the Great Fire of 1899, the alley remained open to accommodate the Sisters and their students. Mt. Carmel Academy continued to educate girls until its closing in 1988.

Donated In Loving Memory Of Milton "Maney" Joseph Belanger, Jr. and Laura Borel Belanger by thier children Cindy, Phyllis and Bo.
 
Erected 2012 by Iberia Cultural Resources Association.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionRoads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers.
 
Location.

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
30° 0.318′ N, 91° 49.08′ W. Marker is in New Iberia, Louisiana, in Iberia Parish. Marker can be reached from East Main Street near Bridge Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Iberia LA 70560, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Great Fire (here, next to this marker); Wormser's Department Store (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Church Alley (a few steps from this marker); William G. "Bunk" Johnson (within shouting distance of this marker); James Lee Burke (within shouting distance of this marker); Provost's Café and Bar/Clementine Fine Dining and Spirits (within shouting distance of this marker); Evangeline Theater (within shouting distance of this marker); The Dreyfus Building (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Iberia.
 
More about this marker. Located across from terminus of Bridge Street in Church Alley
 
Church Alley Marker image. Click for full size.
February 8, 2019
2. Church Alley Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 10, 2019. It was originally submitted on February 9, 2019, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 299 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 9, 2019.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=129771

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 2, 2024