Berkeley Springs in Morgan County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Berkeley Springs / James Rumsey
Washington first came here, 1748. Fairfax gave the springs to the public. Established as town, 1776. Virginia treated her sick soldiers here. Gen. Washington, Gen Buchanan, Gen. Gates, Charles Carroll and others bought lots 1777.
Here, 1782-1785, lived James Rumsey, miller, innkeeper, and inventor of the steamboat. He demonstrated a model of his boat before Washington, 1784. He continued his experiments here and elsewhere until his public demonstration of 1787.
Location. 39° 37.609′ N, 78° 13.656′ W. Marker is in Berkeley Springs, West Virginia, in Morgan County. Marker is at the intersection of Fairfax Street and U.S. 522, in the median on Fairfax Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Berkeley Springs WV 25411, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Morgan County Veteran's Monument (a few steps from this marker); William Herbert / Dr. John Meade Travers (a few steps from this marker); Battle for Bath (a few steps from this marker); Frederick Conrad / Robert Rutherford Campaign in the Snow (within shouting distance of this marker); The Sons and Daughters of Morgan County (within shouting distance of this marker); Henry Whiting / Angus McDonald / Jane and Katherine Dalton / Angus McDonald (within shouting distance of this marker); Centennial Time Capsule (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Berkeley Springs.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary • Waterways & Vessels •
More. Search the internet for Berkeley Springs / James Rumsey.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 28, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 26, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,323 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 26, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.