Rossville in Walker County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Home of John Ross
Great Chief of the
William Marsh Chapter
Daughters American Revolution
July 12, 1922
Erected 1922 by William Marsh Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Native Americans. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution series list.
Location. 34° 58.857′ N, 85° 17.097′ W. Marker is in Rossville, Georgia, in Walker County. Marker is on Spring Street south of East Lake Avenue, on the left when traveling south. Marker is located in the front yard the Chief John Ross House near the parking area. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 East Lake Avenue, Rossville GA 30741, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Chief John Ross (here, next to this marker); Rossville, McFarland House & Spring (a few steps from this marker); John Ross Home (within shouting distance of this Ireland's Brigade (approx. 0.2 miles away); Geary's Division (approx. 0.2 miles away); Rossville Memorial Fountain (approx. 0.2 miles away); Rossville High Alumni Veteran's Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Federal Road (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rossville.
Regarding Home of John Ross. National Register of Historic Places #73000647 (1973)
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Chief John Ross Home
Also see . . .
1. John Ross House. The John Ross House is a historic house at Lake Avenue and Spring Street in Rossville, Georgia. It was the home of the long-serving Cherokee Nation leader John Ross from 1830-1838, after his lands and fine home near the Coosa River had been taken by the state. The house is a two-story log structure, consisting of two log pens flanking a first-floor breezeway, all covered by a low-pitch wood shingle gable roof. The logs are chinked with modern cement. The house was built near Missionary Ridge in 1797 by John McDonald, a Scots immigrant to the area who had (Submitted on February 21, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. National Register of Historic Places Nomination #73000647. The Chief John Ross House Association was formed in the 1950s to preserve the house. It was moved in the 1960s to its present location. (Submitted on February 21, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. DAR Chief John Ross Chapter Urges Preservation Of Historic Ross House. Built in 1797 near the intersection of several Cherokee trails, the John Ross House is linked to early settlements in Georgia, Tennessee and Alabama. The house recalls the story of the early trading post on the river, built by John McDonald, that became Ross’s Landing and later evolved into the city of Chattanooga. (Submitted on February 21, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 22, 2019. It was originally submitted on February 21, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 62 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 21, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.