Annapolis in Anne Arundel County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Site of the Annapolis Convention
— September 11-14, 1786 —
The Constitution of the United States of America.
This building, built as George Mann’s residence about 1789, was incorporated into the tavern complex in 1801. Known by the mid-1800s as the city hotel, its guests over the years included George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, and James Monroe. The old tavern became the Colonial Theater in 1903 and was destroyed by fire in 1919.
Erected 1986 by The Maryland Society, Sons of the American Revolution.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Entertainment • Government & Politics Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #01 George Washington, the Former U.S. Presidents: #03 Thomas Jefferson, the Former U.S. Presidents: #04 James Madison, the Former U.S. Presidents: #05 James Monroe, the George Washington Slept Here, and the Sons of the American Revolution series lists.
Location. 38° 58.635′ N, 76° 29.41′ W. Marker is in Annapolis, Maryland, in Anne Arundel County. Marker is on Conduit Street near Gorman Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 162 Conduit St, Annapolis MD 21401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 167 Main Street at Conduit Street (within shouting distance of this marker); First Synagogue in Annapolis (within shouting distance of this marker); First Presbyterian Church of Annapolis (within shouting distance of this marker); 163 Main Street (within shouting distance of this marker); 159 Main Street (within shouting distance of this marker); Planned in the Past (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gov. Francis Nicholson (about 300 feet away); Framework of History (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Annapolis.
More about this marker. 12 September 1986, not just the year 1986, is listed for the erection of this marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 14, 2019. It was originally submitted on March 16, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 8,363 times since then and 1,136 times this year. Last updated on February 23, 2019, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 16, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.