Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
The National Mall in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

German-American Friendship Garden

Celebrating 300 Years of Friendship

 

— National Mall and Memorial Parks, Washington, D.C. —

 
German-American Friendship Garden Marker image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, November 21, 2010
1. German-American Friendship Garden Marker
Inscription.  
“One magnificent symbol of the bonds that tie our two great peoples together is the German-American Friendship Garden. This symbol of eternally renewing growth and strength will be dedicated this autumn here in the Capital. In its growth, our own commitments to the well-being of America and Germany shall be cultivated and nurtured.”
– President Ronald Reagan, October 6, 1988.

On October 6, 1683, the first organized group of German immigrants arrived on these shores. They purchased land from William Penn, the proprietor of Pennsylvania, and established the village of Germantown. In 1983, President Ronald Reagan established the Presidential Commission for the German-America Tricentennial. Their planning included the garden you see before you.
 
Erected by National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & PoliticsPeaceWar, Cold
German-American Friendship Garden Marker image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, December 4, 2010
2. German-American Friendship Garden Marker
- off Constitution Ave. with the Washington Monument in background
Click or scan to see
this page online
. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #40 Ronald Reagan series list. A significant historical date for this entry is October 6, 1862.
 
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. It was located near 38° 53.514′ N, 77° 2.18′ W. Marker was in The National Mall in Washington, District of Columbia. Marker was on Constitution Avenue Northwest east of 17th Street Northwest, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 1600 Constitution Avenue Northwest, Washington DC 20006, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. A different marker also named German-American Friendship Garden (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named The German-American Friendship Garden (a few steps from this marker); Second Infantry Division Memorial (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Washington Monument (about 700 feet away); Bulfinch Gate House (about 700 feet away); Jefferson Pier (approx. 0.2 miles away); Washington City Canal on the Tiber Creek (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Bulfinch Gate House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in The National Mall.
 
More about this marker.
[Photo captions:]
The Deshler-Morris House, also called the Germantown White House, sheltered President George Washington and his family. It still stands today as the oldest surviving presidential residence.

Chancellor Helmut Kohl and President Ronald Reagan speaking from the White House, November 15, 1988. The occasion marked their last meeting and the dedication of the garden.

The German-American Friendship Garden was designed by Wolfgang Oehme, strategically placed between the Thomas Jefferson Memorial and the White House, and is the only memorial on the Washington Monument grounds. Benches and fountains to the east and west create a welcoming terrace for visitors. A variety of perennial flowers, shrubs and trees found in both countries demonstrate Reagan’s wish to symbolize “...eternally renewing growth and strength.
 
German-American Friendship Garden image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, December 4, 2010
3. German-American Friendship Garden
marker is visible at the edge of the sidewalk off Constitution Avenue, in the background, far left.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 5, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 9, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,580 times since then and 7 times this year. Last updated on February 26, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 9, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=130364

Paid Advertisement
May. 12, 2021