Lockport in Niagara County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
and his son Charles were
local residents who advanced
the struggle to integrate
Lockport Schools. Open to all
regardless of race by 1876.
Erected 2018 by William G. Pomeroy Foundation. (Marker Number 538.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Civil Rights • Education. In addition, it is included in the William G. Pomeroy Foundation series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1876.
Location. 43° 10.582′ N, 78° 41.148′ W. Marker is in Lockport, New York, in Niagara County. Marker is at the intersection of Market Street and Exchange Street, on the right when traveling west on Market Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lockport NY 14094, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Erie Barge Canal at Lockport (within shouting distance of this marker); The Sluice and Hall Spillway (within shouting distance of this marker); Lockport Bank (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Lowertown Historic District Residence of Washington Hunt (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named The Lowertown Historic District (approx. ¼ mile away); Lockport Federal Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); Barge Tie Ups & lock view looking west (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lockport.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 7, 2019. It was originally submitted on March 7, 2019, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 312 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 7, 2019, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.