Orange Beach in Baldwin County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
This area, located along the southern shore of Wolf Bay, was the original 'Downtown' of Orange Beach. Beginning in the 1870's, the two schooners of James C. Callaway anchored near here in the deep-water Boat Basin. The schooners were used for importing supplies and exporting products like oranges, shingles or turpentine sap. They later serviced the lighthouse beacons in the Gulf of Mexico.
In 1909, D.R. Peteet bought 3,254 асres here he called Gulf Bay Tract. He built a shingle mill near the community's vital wharf. A school was built here in 1910. It was used on alternating Sundays by the Baptist and Presbyterian congregations until 1953 when both built churches nearby. The Schoolhouse also served as a community meeting place. In 1954, the Home Demonstration Club began their annual 'Community Picnic' on the school grounds. By 1959, they had raised enough money to buy land for the Community Center now located one mile east of here.
Elsie E. Diehl was the Postmaster of the first Orange Beach Post Office in 1901, and at a second location in 1921. Just to
Erected 2019 by the City of Orange Beach and the Baldwin County Historic Development Commission AL200.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1909.
Location. 30° 17.539′ N, 87° 34.391′ W. Marker is in Orange Beach, Alabama, in Baldwin County. Marker is at the intersection of Canal Road and Bay Circle, on the right when traveling west on Canal Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4773 Bay Circle, Orange Beach AL 36561, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Orange Beach, Alabama (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Orange Beach Municipal Complex (approx. ¾ mile away); Perdido Pass (approx. 1½ miles away); Orange Beach Community Cemetery (approx. 3 miles away); Josephine (approx. 3.3 miles away); Tampary (approx. 3.4 miles away in Florida); Romar Beach (approx. 3.7 miles away); Daphne United Methodist Church (approx. 5½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Orange Beach.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 22, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 7, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 422 times since then and 113 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 7, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.