Millen in Jenkins County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Sherman at Millen
On the night of Dec. 2, 1864. Hq. Military Division of the Mississippi (US).Maj. Gen. W. T. Sherman. USA, camped on the west bank of Buckhead Creek near the bridge. During the late afternoon of the 2nd, the 17th Corps (Blair’s) had crossed the creek and burned the railway station, the hotel and several warehouse erected by the Confederate Army. That night, the corps camped in the south of Millen, with the exception of one brigade and the trains, which remained west of Buckhead Creek until morning. On the 3rd, the 17th Corps moved forward via Paramore Hill to Scarborough (old no. 7, CRR) destroying the railroad enroute.
Erected 1989 by Georgia Historic Marker. (Marker Number 082-9A.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society, and the Sherman’s March to the Sea series lists. A significant historical date for this entry is December 2, 1850.
Location. 32° 48.211′ N, 81° 57.636′ W. Marker is in Millen, Georgia, in Jenkins County. Marker is at the intersection Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Millen GA 30442, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Millen (approx. 1.2 miles away); Millen Junction (approx. 1.2 miles away); Jenkins County Confederate Memorial (approx. 1.2 miles away); Jenkins Court House (approx. 1.2 miles away); Wayside Home (approx. 1.3 miles away); a different marker also named The Wayside Home (approx. 1.3 miles away); Millen Fountain (approx. 1.3 miles away); Millen Flagpole (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Millen.
Also see . . . Sherman's March to the Sea. New Georgia Encyclopedia website entry (Submitted on October 29, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 20, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 29, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,718 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 29, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.