Somerset in Perry County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Sheridan Monument / 1829 Courthouse
The Sheridan monument was erected by and given to the Village of Somerset by the State of Ohio in 1905 to honor the memory of Somerset's General Phillip Henry Sheridan. "Little Phil" was raised in Somerset and graduated from the United States Military Academy in 1852. He rendered valuable service to the Federal Army in the Civil War at Stone's River, Missionary Ridge, Yellow Tavern, Winchester, Cedar Creek, Five Forks, and Appomattox. He later commanded in the West and became General of the Army in 1883, received his fourth star, and died in 1888. The heroic sculpture, created by Carl Heber of New York, portrays "Sheridan's Ride" to Winchester. Somerset citizens paid for the granite base through a children's "penny fund."
Commenced in 1828, this building was Perry County's first true courthouse. The sandstone jail was completed in 1848 and a common roof connected both structures. Old '29 commands a largely intact agrarian public square common during the Federal period. The edifice is the oldest continuously
Erected 2002 by American Legion Post 58, Village of Somerset, and the Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 1-64.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Heroes • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1905.
Location. 39° 48.45′ N, 82° 17.996′ W. Marker is in Somerset, Ohio, in Perry County. Marker is at the intersection of North Columbus Street (Ohio Route 13) and East Main Street (U.S. 22), on the right when traveling west on North Columbus Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Somerset OH 43783, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Nellie Sheridan Wilson (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Lutheran SynodGeneral Philip Henry Sheridan (about 700 feet away); Jacob Miller’s Tavern (approx. 0.2 miles away); A Seed of Catholic Education in Ohio / The Cradle of Catholicity in Ohio (approx. 0.3 miles away); Somerset (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Sheridan Homestead (approx. ¾ mile away); First Catholic Church in Ohio (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Somerset.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 2, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 2,916 times since then and 155 times this year. Last updated on October 29, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 2, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 7, 8, 9. submitted on October 29, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.