Brownsville in Cameron County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Built circa 1900 for Refugia Rock, the widow of Herman S. Rock (a customs hide inspector), the one-story house has parapet gables and a molded cornice across the chimney and façade, indicating Mexican Colonial and Border Brick style architectural influences. The Gomez family owned the house from 1915-1996. The apartment and brick wall in the back yard were added by the Gomez family.
Erected by Brownsville Historical Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Hispanic Americans • Man-Made Features.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 500 East Levee Street, Brownsville TX 78520, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rock-Gomez Residence (here, next to this marker); Alonso Complex (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Alonso Building (about 400 feet away); Russell/Cocke House (about 500 feet away); Sacred Heart Catholic Church (about 500 feet away); Sacred Heart Church (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Sacred Heart Church (about 500 feet away); U.S. Federal Building (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brownsville.
Regarding Rock/Gomez House. Marker is in the Brownsville Historical Trail series.
Also see . . . Rock/Gomez House (1900). Mr. Rock was a customs hide inspector and was also a member of the team led by Capt. L.H. McNelly who was charged with catching cattle thieves and bandits in 1875. The house has a large porch supported by large columns. (Submitted on March 18, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 18, 2019. It was originally submitted on March 18, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 179 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 18, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.