Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Milledgeville in Baldwin County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Milledgeville State Hospital

 
 
Milledgeville State Hospital Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, February 19, 2005
1. Milledgeville State Hospital Marker
Inscription.  In 1837, largely through the influence of Tomlinson Fort and William A. White, the legislature appropriated $20,000 for a dormitory near Milledgeville where the state’s mentally ill could receive custodial care. A four-story building was opened on this site in 1842 and together with various later additions became known as the Center Building. Originally serving only pauper patients, services were expanded for all bona fide citizens. Dr. David M. Cooper (serving 1843-1846) was the first Superintendent and was followed by Dr. Thomas F. Green (1847- 1879) and Theophilus O. Powell (1879- 1907).
 
Erected 1961 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 005-24.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public WorkScience & Medicine. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list.
 
Location. 33° 3.098′ N, 83° 13.328′ W. Marker is in Milledgeville, Georgia, in Baldwin County. Marker is at the intersection of
Center Building, Milledgeville State Hospital image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, February 19, 2005
2. Center Building, Milledgeville State Hospital
Broad Street and the unnamed hospitalentrance drive, on the right when traveling east on Broad Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Milledgeville GA 31061, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Wilkinson (approx. 0.7 miles away); Cedar Lane Cemetery (approx. ¾ mile away); Old Fort Wilkinson (approx. 0.8 miles away); Old Oglethorpe University (approx. 1.4 miles away); Carl Vinson • Mary Green Vinson (approx. 1.6 miles away); The Methodist Church (approx. 1.6 miles away); Rear Admiral John W. Wilcox (approx. 1.6 miles away); The Unknown Soldiers of Brown Hospital (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milledgeville.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 30, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 2,367 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 30, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area together in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement
Aug. 10, 2020