Sturgeon Bay in Door County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Sturgeon Bay's Waterfront History
Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal
The completion of the canal reduced the trip distance from the port of Green Bay to Milwaukee or Chicago by more than 150 miles. It also eliminated the dangerous journey through infamous Death's Door passage at the tip of the Door Peninsula.
Photo Captions (left side, middle, then right side)
Joseph Harris Sr.
In addition to providing a shorter, safer route for sailing vessels, Joseph Harris intended to make a profit selling building lots in the future town of "Harrisburg"
Construction of the canal began on July 8, 1872. The isthmus between Sturgeon Bay and Lake Michigan was heavily forested. The historic photo to the upper left shows the route of the canal being cleared of trees and brush. Note the temporary railway constructed to transport materials in and out of the worksite. The Depression of 1873 held up the work for three years. Construction resumed in 1877 and on June 28, 1878 at 7:30 p.m., the final dirt barrier was removed to connect the waters of Sturgeon Bay and Lake Michigan. In 1879, the three-masted schooner America bound for Chicago with a load of lumber would become the first loaded ship towed through the canal.
It would take another four years to make the 7,400-foot canal suitable for safe, routine passage
During the early years of the canal, a tow charge was levied on ships passing through. Local tug owners provided towing services for the ships using the canal and competition was intense - whoever got to a ship first got the job. Ship owners soon discovered that they could dramatically reduce costs by linking up and being towed through in a group. At times, as many as six sailing ships were joined by towlines for their passage through the narrowest part of the canal.
Profits never really kept up with expenses and in 1893 the private investor group sold all interest in the canal to the United States government and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers assumed maintenance of the canal. The Corps of Engineers expanded the project to include dredging and improvement to the navigation channel traversing Sturgeon Bay. This work stretched from the mouth of the canal on Lake Michigan to Sherwood Point to the west where the waters of Sturgeon Bay open onto Green Bay.
The original canal through the isthmus was 7,400 feet long (2.3 km), 100 feet wide (32.2 m), and 6 feet deep (1.9 m). If the improvements to the entire Sturgeon Bay navigating channel are included, the modern-day "canal" is 7 miles long (11.3 km), 125 feet wide (38m), and 16 1/2 to 21 1/2 feet deep (5 to 6 1/2 m). North and South jetties extend 1,350 feet into Lake Michigan.
Three famous lighthouses mark the course of the canal, including the Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal Lighthouse at the eastern entrance on the grounds of Coast Guard Station Sturgeon Bay; the Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal North Pierhead Light on end of the north jetty extending into Lake Michigan; and the Sherwood Point Lighthouse in Idlewild, on the far western end, on the southern shore of the outer edge of Sturgeon Bay.
This photo taken from the pilothouse of the lake freighter Paul R. Tregurtha shows the bow of the ship entering the ship canal from Lake Michigan. Because of their immense size and the added safety of modern navigating technology, large freighters no longer utilize the canal routinely. However, each January visitors can enjoy the spectacle of these behemoths, some as long as 1000 feet in length, making their way down the canal and through the Sturgeon Bay bridges as they arrive at Bay Shipbuilding Company for winter layup. This extraordinary sight is repeated in March when the "winter fleet" departs to begin the new shipping season.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Waterways & Vessels.
Location. 44° 49.775′ N, 87° 22.873′ W. Marker is in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin, in Door County. Marker is on South Neenah Avenue. This marker is located along the canal on the north side of the Oregon Street Bridge. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Sawyer Park, S Neenah Ave, Sturgeon Bay WI 54235, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Sturgeon Bay's Waterfront History (within shouting distance of this marker); Ship Propellers (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Sturgeon Bay's Waterfront History (within shouting distance of this marker); The Fluke Anchor (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Sturgeon Bay's Waterfront History (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Sturgeon Bay's Waterfront History (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Sturgeon Bay's Waterfront History (about 400 feet away); Buoy and Sinker (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sturgeon Bay.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 28, 2019. It was originally submitted on March 26, 2019, by Devon Polzar of Port Washington, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 163 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 26, 2019, by Devon Polzar of Port Washington, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.