Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hilton Head Island in Beaufort County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

General Howell / Captain Suter

 
 
Howell - Suter Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brandon D Cross, June 12, 2017
1. Howell - Suter Marker
Inscription.  
General Joshua Blackwood Howell 1806-1864

Fort Howell is named for General Joshua Blackwood Howell of Pennsylvania, who commanded the Hilton Head District, Department of the South, United States Army, from February through April, 1864. His brigade was then transferred to the Army of the James in Virginia. He was injured while commanding a division near Petersburg and died on September 14, 1864. He was posthumously promoted to Brigadier General of Volunteers.

Captain Charles Russell Suter 1842-1920

Fort Howell was designed by Captain Russell Suter, Chief Engineer of the Department of the South, United States Army (May, 1864 to October, 1865). Captain Suter had been with the Army of the Potomac in 1862, and assisted in building bridges across the Potomac and in constructing defenses at Harpers Ferry. He was assigned to the Department of the South in 1863 and participated in the siege of Confederate Battery Wagner and the bombardment of Fort Sumter (1863 and 1864). On August 17, 1864, he was ordered to design and begin construction on the earthworks that would later be named Fort Howell. The
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
fort was completed in November of that year, and his design is preserved in the National Archives.
 
Erected by Hilton Head Island Land Trust.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and CastlesWar, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is August 17, 1864.
 
Location. 32° 13.964′ N, 80° 41.641′ W. Marker is on Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, in Beaufort County. Marker can be reached from Beach City Road, 0.2 miles south of Dillon Road, on the right when traveling south. Marker located inside Fort Howell Historic Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 160 Beach City Rd, Hilton Head Island SC 29926, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Forts of the Civil War Era (here, next to this marker); The Troops that Built Fort Howell / Camp Baird (here, next to this marker); The Story of Fort Howell (a few steps from this marker); Fort Howell - 1864 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Howell (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mitchelville Site (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. James Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cherry Hill School (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hilton Head Island.
 
Gen. Joshua B. Howell 1806 – 1864 image. Click for full size.
Courtesy Library of Congress, June 12, 2017
2. Gen. Joshua B. Howell 1806 – 1864
Capt. Charles R. Suter 1842 - 1920 image. Click for full size.
Courtesy Library of Congress, June 12, 2017
3. Capt. Charles R. Suter 1842 - 1920
Howell - Suter marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brandon D Cross, June 12, 2017
4. Howell - Suter marker
Marker is attached to this covered pavilion located within Fort Howell Historic Park.
Fort Howell Historic Park Entrance Sign image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brandon D Cross, June 12, 2017
5. Fort Howell Historic Park Entrance Sign
Fort Howell – 1864 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brandon D Cross
6. Fort Howell – 1864
An excellent example of the defensive earthworks common to the Civil War era. Fort Howell was constructed by Union forces occupying Hilton Head Island and was one of the final major fortifications to be built during the war. The men of the 32nd U.S. Colored Infantry Volunteers labored to complete the fort in the fall of 1864. Its purpose: to protect Mitchelville, a freedmen’s town of newly emancipated slaves, which lay just down the road from this spot. Fort Howell was deeded to the Hilton Head Island Land Trust in 1993 to insure its public preservation as an historic site for current and future generations to enjoy.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 7, 2019, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 389 times since then and 72 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 7, 2019, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=131835

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 14, 2024