“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sioux Falls in Minnehaha County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)

Arrowhead Park

Arrowhead Park Marker (side one) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Ruth VanSteenwyk, March 31, 2019
1. Arrowhead Park Marker (side one)
(side one)

Settlers arrived in this area in the 1860s. Later they began quarrying its vast deposits of quartzite. East Sioux Falls, a rough-and-tumble quarrymen's town, began in 1887 and flourished for several years. The financial Panic of 1893 and technological change led to the demise of the local quarrying industry.

In 1982 Dale Weir and his wife and business partner Dorothy purchased the attractive prairie that had been O'Hanlon's Addition to East Sioux Falls. They built a summer home and access roads and added aerators to keep quarry waters ice free for wildlife. In 1999 the Weirs gave the property to the City of Sioux Falls for use as a nature park. They chose the name "Arrowhead" for their 131-acre gift because, as seen from the air, one quarry resembles an arrowhead.

The Weirs wanted to save the park area in its natural state, to carefully preserve the trees, shrubs, and grasses, to maintain habitat for the birds and Many wild prairie animals, and to ensure populations of fish and waterfowl in the quarry ponds.

(side two)
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of the trees, shrubs, grasses, and flowers native to the region are found in the park. Trees include the eastern red cedar, cottonwood, boxelder, burr oak, and ash, together with a myriad of other smaller plants and wild flowers. Interesting geological features are found in the varied colors of the bedrock quartzite and in the variety of stones and boulders left by glaciers during the Ice Age.

Another attractive feature of the park is the unusual 1888 barn which served as a stable for the quarry company. It is believed to have been designed by the famed architect Wallace Dow.

Because of the vision and generosity of Dorothy and Daile Weir in choosing to give this unique area to the people of this region, succeeding generations will be enriched . Children will have an ideal place to learn about nature and local history, and those of all ages will have a place to experience solitude and to relate to the natural world. The people of Sioux Falls owe to the Weirs a lasting debt of gratitude.
Erected 2004 by Minnehaha County Historical Society and funded by the Sioux Falls Area Community Foundation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Parks & Recreational Areas. A significant historical year for this entry is 1887.
Location. 43° 31.538′ N, 96° 36.762′ W. Marker is
Arrowhead Park Marker (side two) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Ruth VanSteenwyk, March 31, 2019
2. Arrowhead Park Marker (side two)
in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, in Minnehaha County. Marker is on South River Bluff Road. Marker is at the south entrance to Arrowhead Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2310 S River Bluff Rd, Sioux Falls SD 57110, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The City of East Sioux Falls (approx. 0.2 miles away); Seed (approx. 0.3 miles away); unearth (approx. 0.3 miles away); Flourish (approx. 0.3 miles away); bud (approx. 0.3 miles away); fruit (approx. 0.3 miles away); Wilt (approx. 0.3 miles away); Disperse (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sioux Falls.
Also see . . .  Arrowhead Park. (Submitted on April 10, 2019, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota.)
Arrowhead Park Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Ruth VanSteenwyk, March 31, 2019
3. Arrowhead Park Marker
Credits. This page was last revised on April 14, 2019. It was originally submitted on April 10, 2019, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 595 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 10, 2019, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 1, 2024