Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Luis Potosí, Mexico — The Northeast (and Central Highlands)
 

Loreto Chapel / Jesuit Temple / Former Jesuit Convent and School

 
 
Loreto Chapel / Jesuit Temple / Former Jesuit Convent and School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, March 17, 2019
1. Loreto Chapel / Jesuit Temple / Former Jesuit Convent and School Marker
This side of the marker shows the information about the Loreto Chapel and the Jesuit Temple.
Inscription.  

Capilla de Loreto
Esta capilla, dedicada a la devoción Jesuita a la Santísima Virgen de Loreto, es una de las más bellas del país debido a su rica fachada barroca.Terminada hacia 1717, originalmente albergó una réplica de la Santa Casa de Loreto, así como varios retablos barrocos que en la primera mitad del siglo XIX fueron sustituidos por altares neoclásicos.

Templo de la Compañía
En 1592, tras la fundación del pueblo de San Luis, en este sitio se ubicó la Ermita Franciscana de la Vera Cruz, el primer templo del poblado. Más tarde se traslada la ermita, ya como parroquia, al sitio de la actual catedral y se le cede a los frailes Jesuitas el terreno donde edificaron su templo hacia 1654, anexo al Colegio. Con la expulsión de los Jesuitas en 1767, el templo pasó al cuidado del obispado de Valladolid, hoy Morelia, al que perteneció San Luis hasta 1854. Actualmente es la Parroquia del Sagrario y Catedral Provisional.

Ex Convento y Colegio Jesuita
Este monumental edificio fue el Colegio de la Compañia de Jesús que formaba parte del complejo Jesuita, que incluía el templo de la Compañía
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
y la Capilla de Loreto. Hoy es el Edificio Central de la Universidad Autónoma de San Luis Potosí, sede de la Rectoría.

En 1624 los Jesuitas reciben estos terrenos y abren las escuelas de primeras letras y de gramática. En 1856 el gobierno lo toma y funda el Instituto Científico y Literario. La fachada fue embellecida entre 1871 y 1874. En el torreón del lado izquierdo estuvo ubicado el observatorio meteorológico.

English:
Loreto Chapel
This chapel, dedicated to the Jesuit devotion to the Santísima Virgen de Loreto, is one of the most beautiful of the country thanks to its intricated baroque façade. Finished around 1717, it originally sheltered a replica of the Sainted House of Loreto, as well as various baroque altarpieces which in the first half of the 19th century were replaced with neoclassical altars.

Jesuit Temple
In 1592, after the foundation of the town of San Luis, the Ermita franciscana de la Vera Cruz chapel was located here, the first temple of the town. Later it was moved, now as a parish church, to the site of the current cathedral, and the land was ceded to the Jesuit monks, where they built their temple around 1654, as an annex to the school. With the expulsion of the Jesuits in 1767, the temple went to the care of the Bishop of Valladolid, today Morelia, to whom San Luis belonged until 1854. Today it
Loreto Chapel / Jesuit Temple / Former Jesuit Convent and School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, March 17, 2019
2. Loreto Chapel / Jesuit Temple / Former Jesuit Convent and School Marker
This side of the marker includes the information on the Former Jesuit Convent and School.
is the Parroquia del Sagrario church and the Provisional Cathedral.

Former Jesuit Convent and School
This monumental building was the School of the Company of Jesus and part of the Jesuit complex, which included the Temple of the Company and the Capilla de Loretto chapel.Today it is the Central Building of the Autonomous University of San Luis Potosí, seat of the Rectoría.

In 1624 the Jesuits received these lands and opened the first schools of reading and grammar. In 1856 the government took it and founded the Scientific and Literary Institute. The façade was beautified between 1871 and 1874. The meteorological observatory was in the left tower.
 
Erected by United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), Camino Real de Tierra Adentro.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionColonial EraEducationMan-Made Features. A significant historical year for this entry is 1717.
 
Location. 22° 9.132′ N, 100° 58.704′ W. Marker is in San Luis Potosí. Marker is on Álvaro Obregón just west of Ignacio Allende, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Luis Potosí 78000, Mexico. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Capitán Miguel Caldera (within shouting distance of this marker); Nineteenth Century Building (within
Loreto Chapel / Jesuit Temple / Former Jesuit Convent and School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, March 17, 2019
3. Loreto Chapel / Jesuit Temple / Former Jesuit Convent and School Marker
The marker can be seen here on the left, with the Loreto Chapel in the background on the left. The Jesuit Temple is further to the right.
shouting distance of this marker); Founders Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Former Othón Theater (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); Royal Treasury (about 150 meters away); The Plan of San Luis (about 180 meters away); Government Palace (about 180 meters away); Government Palace / Vicereine’s House (about 180 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Luis Potosí.
 
The Former Jesuit Convent and School, now the Autonomous University of San Luis Potosí. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, March 17, 2019
4. The Former Jesuit Convent and School, now the Autonomous University of San Luis Potosí.
Detail of the Former Jesuit Convent and School image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, March 17, 2019
5. Detail of the Former Jesuit Convent and School
Loreto Chapel / Jesuit Temple / Former Jesuit Convent and School and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, March 17, 2019
6. Loreto Chapel / Jesuit Temple / Former Jesuit Convent and School and Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 16, 2019. It was originally submitted on April 16, 2019, by J. Makali Bruton of Accra, Ghana. This page has been viewed 73 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 16, 2019, by J. Makali Bruton of Accra, Ghana.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=132258

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 3, 2024