Adairsville in Bartow County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Johnston's Army at Adairsville
Units of Maj. Gen. S.G. French's div. & Brig. Gen. W.H. Jackson's Cavalry joined Polk's corps [CS] here & at Cassville.
The march by 2 roads was to facilitate troop movement & to divide Sherman's forces [US] during his advance.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 008-27.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is May 18, 1932.
Location. 34° 22.016′ N, 84° 55.565′ W. Marker is in Adairsville, Georgia, in Bartow County. Marker is at the intersection of Poplar Springs Road and South Cass Street, on the right when traveling east on Poplar Springs Road. The marker is one of three located in front of the East View Cemetery.Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Adairsville GA 30103, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mosteller's Mills (here, next to this marker); Federal Armies at Adairsville (here, next to this marker); The Great Locomotive Chase (approx. half a mile away); Adairsville, Georgia (approx. half a mile away); Historic Trimble House (approx. 0.9 miles away); Major John Lewis (approx. 1.3 miles away); McPherson’s Troops March to Barnsley’s (approx. 1.7 miles away); Original Site Adairsville — 1830’s (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Adairsville.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 16, 2018. It was originally submitted on November 2, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,758 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 2, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.