Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Charles Town in Jefferson County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
 

African-American Schools in Charles Town, West Virginia

 
 
African-American Schools in Charles Town, West Virginia Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones (CC0), April 15, 2019
1. African-American Schools in Charles Town, West Virginia Marker
Inscription.  
The first school for African-Americans in Charles Town started in December 1865 at the home of Achilles and Ellen Dixon, African-Americans who lived on Liberty Street. It was taught by Freewill Baptist Missionary Anne Dudley.

Between 1868 and 1874, the Charles Town District Board of Education built a school on Harewood Avenue (now Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard). Mr. Littleton L. Page was appointed principal. It was named the Charles Town District Colored School and is still standing.

In 1897, because of increased enrollment, a school was built on Eagle Avenue. Called the Eagle Avenue Colored School, it contained grades 1 through 8. Around 1920, more rooms were added. After the death of Mr. L.L. Page in 1914, Mr. Philip Jackson was appointed principal.

A new Eagle Avenue school was built in 1929. It was located on the corner of Harewood Avenue (Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard) and Eagle Avenue. Eagle Avenue School was closed at the end of the school year 1966. It was the last black school to close in Jefferson County.

In 1938, a high school for African-American students in Jefferson County
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
was started in the elementary school. An annex was added for high school students in 1942. The school was named Page-Jackson High School in honor of Mr. Littleton L. Page and Mr. Philip Jackson, who had died in 1937. The last principal of the High School was Mr. E.M. Dandridge. The first class graduated in 1942.

A high school, also named Page-Jackson was built on Mordington Avenue in 1951. It contained grades 9 through 12. Following the Supreme Court decision in 1954 which ended segregated schools, Page Jackson was closed 11 years later in 1965 and is now the office of the Jefferson County Board of Education.

Saint Philips Parochial and Industrial School on South Lawrence was started in 1900. The cost of attendance ranged from 25 to 45 cents per week. Subjects taught were the basic classes, plus religion, carpentry, sewing, and printing. The school closed during the Depression Era.
 
Erected by City of Charles Town, West Virginia.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansChurches & ReligionEducationWomen. A significant historical month for this entry is December 1865.
 
Location. Marker has been reported permanently removed. It was located near 39° 17.211′ N, 77° 51.793′ 
African-American Schools in Charles Town, West Virginia Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones (CC0), April 15, 2019
2. African-American Schools in Charles Town, West Virginia Marker
W. Marker was in Charles Town, West Virginia, in Jefferson County. Marker was at the intersection of South West Street and West Congress Street, on the right when traveling south on South West Street. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 211 South West Street, Charles Town WV 25414, United States of America.

We have been informed that this sign or monument is no longer there and will not be replaced. This page is an archival view of what was.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. A Brief History of the Old Presbyterian Church in Charles Town (here, next to this marker); Old Stone House / Star Lodge No. 1 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); John Thomas Marker (about 400 feet away); Martin Robinson Delany (about 500 feet away); Brownfields to Greenfields (about 700 feet away); Office of Charles Washington (about 700 feet away); Charles Town Schools (about 800 feet away); Martin Robison Delany (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charles Town.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 18, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 553 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 18, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=132452

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 24, 2024