Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Piketon in Pike County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

First County Courthouse / Removal of County Seat

 
 
First County Courthouse side of marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, April 16, 2019
1. First County Courthouse side of marker
Inscription.  
First County Courthouse. Named for General Zebulon Pike, killed in the War of 1812, Pike County was organized in February 1815. Commissioners were charged with establishing a county seat and on May 12, 1815 accepted a conveyance of 40 acres from Elisha Fitch. The new seat was named “Piketon.” In 1816, the commissioners let a contract for the construction of a courthouse and jail. A fine two story courthouse with brick laid in Flemish bond was finished in 1819. A fire destroyed some county courthouse offices on October 9, 1844. The repaired courthouse was the seat of county government until 1861 and is part of the Piketon Historic District, which was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. Limestone headers above the windows have the names of the county government offices.

Removal of County Seat. At the behest of Waverly businessman James Emmitt, State Representative Shedrick Shaw petitioned the Ohio General Assembly to move Pike County’s seat from Piketon to Waverly in 1860. Obtaining signatures for the petition had started a bitter political battle that continued
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
through the early 1860s. Among other inducements, Waverly’s advocates promised to build a new county courthouse in Waverly free of charge. Enabled by state law in February 1861, voters chose to move county government to Waverly by a margin of 310 votes in October. The promise to build the new courthouse went unfulfilled, and in 1864 another bill was proposed to move the county seat back to Piketon. The bill goaded Waverly’s advocates to action The courthouse in Waverly was built and deeded over to the Pike County Commissioners on December 8, 1866.
 
Erected 2015 by Pike County Convention & Visitors Bureau, Southern Ohio Medical Center, Bristol Village and The Ohio History Connection. (Marker Number 8-66.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable EventsPolitical Subdivisions. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1861.
 
Location. 39° 4.183′ N, 83° 0.561′ W. Marker is in Piketon, Ohio, in Pike County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street and Market Street on East Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 715 E Main St, Piketon OH 45661, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Underground Railroad in Pike County
Removal of County Seat side of marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, April 16, 2019
2. Removal of County Seat side of marker
(here, next to this marker); Piketon (approx. 0.9 miles away); Jasper (approx. 2.8 miles away); Pike County Veterans Memorial (approx. 4 miles away); Pike County Revolutionary Soldiers (approx. 4 miles away); Pike County Twentieth-Century War Memorial (approx. 4 miles away); Eagles Veterans Memorial (approx. 4 miles away); Pike County Civil War Memorial (approx. 4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Piketon.
 
First County Courthouse / Removal of County Seat marker is on the left image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, April 16, 2019
3. First County Courthouse / Removal of County Seat marker is on the left
The marker on the right is The Underground Railroad in Pike County marker.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 19, 2019. It was originally submitted on April 19, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 234 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 19, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=132467

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 19, 2024