Cuero in DeWitt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
General August C. Buchel
Honoring Texas Confederate
1811 - 1864
Educated in stern military schools of Prussia. Was in French Legion and Army of Turkey. Knighted in Spain after work in Carlist Wars. Came to Texas 1845. In Mexican War 1846-47. Later became Port of Lavaca customs collector. Commanded Confederates at Brownsville, 1862-63. In charge of roads exporting cotton, beef, importing corn, munitions, medicines and factory goods thru Mexico. Foreign ships waited beyond territorial waters. Their goods were exchanged for Confederate cotton, hauled to them by small boats. Goods then came north, via Buchel post.
Buchel's regiment, 1st Texas Cavalry, in 1863 was organized with nucleus from 1st Texas Mounted Rifles. In Buchel's regiment were Taylor's Texas Riflemen of DeWitt County. 1863-64 Buchel had a great role in Texas coastal defense, most dramatic chapter in Confederate history. In command of Sabine District, Buchel harried Federal blockade fleet with infantry, cavalry. One Buchel duty was to protect blockade-runners. Also handled prize ships. He held Niblett's Bluff, La., when 20,000 Federals with much artillery tried a breakthrough
Erected 1964 by the State of Texas. (Marker Number 2124.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
Location. 29° 5.529′ N, 97° 17.336′ W. Marker is in Cuero, Texas, in DeWitt County. Marker is at the intersection of North Gonzales Street and East Live Oak Street, on the right when traveling north on North Gonzales Street. Marker is located at the northwest corner of the courthouse square. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 307 North Gonzales Street, Cuero TX 77954, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Chisholm Trail Centennial Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); De Witt County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); DeWitt County War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); First United Methodist Church of Cuero (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Grace Episcopal ChurchFirst Presbyterian Church of Cuero (about 600 feet away); James Norman Smith (about 600 feet away); Knights of Pythias Hall, Jewel Lodge No. 103 (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cuero.
Also see . . . Buchel, Augustus Carl - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on April 24, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 24, 2019. It was originally submitted on April 23, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 199 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 23, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.