Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cuero in DeWitt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

James Norman Smith

Near Clinton Cemetery, Burial Place

 

— (1789 - 1875) —

 
James Norman Smith Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, April 5, 2019
1. James Norman Smith Marker
Inscription.  "Uncle Jimmy the Peacemaker." Son of Sgt. James Turner Smith, veteran of American Revolution.

Born and educated in North Carolina. Lived for 32 years in Tennessee, where he taught James K. Polk, later a U.S. President.

Taught first school in area now DeWitt County, 1840 (year he came to Texas). Surveyed DeWitt County; was first County Clerk. Organized Presbyterian churches at Victoria, Hochheim, Clinton, Peebles Ranch, Mill Creek, Live Oak, and Cuero. Organized first Masonic Lodge in county. At 1857 political rally, introduced old Tennessee friend, Sam Houston.

Incise on base: Marker erected by descendants
 
Erected 1971 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 2731.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureChurches & ReligionEducationSettlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 29° 5.473′ N, 97° 17.24′ W. Marker is in Cuero, Texas, in DeWitt County. Marker is on North McLeod Street, on the
James Norman Smith Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, April 5, 2019
2. James Norman Smith Marker
Marker is the leftmost of the two markers visible in this photo. The marker on the right is the "First Presbyterian Church of Cuero" marker.
Click or scan to see
this page online
right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 302 North McLeod Street, Cuero TX 77954, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Presbyterian Church of Cuero (a few steps from this marker); First United Methodist Church of Cuero (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Michael's Catholic Church (about 400 feet away); De Witt County Courthouse (about 500 feet away); Old Chisholm Trail Centennial Monument (about 600 feet away); General August C. Buchel (about 600 feet away); DeWitt County War Memorial (about 600 feet away); Brayton Flying Field (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cuero.
 
Also see . . .  Smith, James Norman - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on April 23, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 23, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 191 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 23, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=132587

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Sep. 30, 2022