Near Rimrock in Yavapai County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Chaves Historic Trail
For many centuries, American Indians used this trail as a trade route to traverse the rough country from the Hopi Mesas to the Verde Valley. Spanish as well as American explorers made use of this trail to access western lands and mines.
During the mid 1800's the United States Army used portions of this trail. The trail was improved when commercial stage and mail routes were established from Prescott to Santa Fe by the Star Line Transportation Company. The same route was traversed by many of the pioneer settlers of the Verde Valley.
Erected by The Rimrockers and The Beaver Creek Preservation and Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Exploration Roads & Vehicles. A significant historical date for this entry is April 16, 1864.
Location. 34° 38.349′ N, 111° 48.159′ W. Marker is near Rimrock, Arizona, in Yavapai County. Marker is on Beaver Creek Road (County Road 77) 1.1 miles east of Interstate 17, on the right when traveling west. Marker is located at a roadside pull-out. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rimrock AZ 86335, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Macaw Pen Stone? (approx. 2.8 miles away); Welcome to The Castle (approx. 2.9 miles away); The Community (approx. 2.9 miles away); The Way Up / Construction Sequence (approx. 2.9 miles away); The People Next Door (approx. 3 miles away); The Neighborhood / Mysterious Departures (approx. 3 miles away); Lifeline / Prehistoric Produce (approx. 3 miles away); Pecan Lane Rural Historic Landscape (approx. 5.4 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on April 24, 2019. It was originally submitted on April 24, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 241 times since then and 65 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 24, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.