Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Downtown West in St. Louis, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Mendenhall Building

Built in 1914 and 1924

 
 
Mendenhall Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, April 22, 2019
1. Mendenhall Building Marker
Inscription.  The eastern, two level portion of this building was built in 1914 and for two years was the home of the Hudson-Phillips Motor Car Co. In 1916, Mendenhall Motor Co. opened its Ford dealerships in the building. In 1924, Mendenhall added the matching, western, two story portion of this building.

Mendenhall Motor Co. remained a Ford dealer at the location until 1950, although it did vacate the western addition for three years during the depression. During 1936, the addition was occupied by the Auburn Distributing Co. of St. Louis.

The 1916 Fords first sold in the building, were the last Model T's trimmed with brass. The Model T had 20 horsepower and a 100 inch wheelbase. During the early 1920's there were more Ford Model Ts on American roads, than all other makes of cars, combined. The simple design and the high production volume of the Model T, enabled dealers, such as Mendenhall to sell the two door, runabout model, during 1925 and 1926, for only $260.00.

The last Fords sold in this building in 1950, were the streamlined "shoe box" design with 100 horsepower and a 114 inch wheelbase.

In 1909, Roy D. Chapin
Mendenhall Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, April 22, 2019
2. Mendenhall Building Marker
and Howard E. Coffin, veterans of Olds Motor Works, Chalmers-Detroit and Thomas-Detroit, established the Hudson Motor Car Co., with the financial backing of Joseph L. Hudson, owner of Detroit's Hudson Department stores. Hudson built quality, mid-priced cars from 1909 until its merger in 1956 with Nash-Kelvinator, creating American Motors Corp.

1936, the year Auburns were sold in this building, was the last year of Auburn production.
 
Erected by The Horseless Carriage Club of Missouri and Hilliker Corporation.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceRoads & Vehicles.
 
Location. 38° 38.043′ N, 90° 12.779′ W. Marker is in Downtown West in St. Louis, Missouri. Marker is on Locust Street west of North 23rd Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2321 Locust Street, Saint Louis MO 63103, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Willys Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Peerless Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 2635 Locust Street (about 600 feet away); Packard Building (about 600 feet away); Lambert-Deacon-Hull Printing Company Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Scott Joplin Residence
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(approx. ¼ mile away); Aloe Plaza (approx. 0.4 miles away); Cadillac Building (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Downtown West.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 29, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 72 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 29, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 5, 2021