Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Louis, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Cadillac Building

Built in 1916

 
 
Cadillac Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, April 22, 2019
1. Cadillac Building Marker
Inscription.  This building, designed by Nolte and Nauman, Architects, was built for Cadillac Automobile Co. of St. Louis, and remained the St. Louis Cadillac, dealership showroom, through 1919. Cadillac was already a respected luxury car, at the time this building was built. In 1908, Cadillac had become the first production car in the world to have fully interchangeable parts. From this achievement, came Cadillac's slogan, "Standard of the World". In 1912, Cadillac introduced the first self-starter, eliminating hand cranking, the cause of many broken arms. The Cadillacs sold from the building's showroom were powered by 314 cubic inch, V-8 motors, which Cadillac had introduced in 1915, and had wheelbases of 125 inches to 145 inches.

Cadillac was founded by Henry Ford as the Henry Ford as the Henry Ford Motor Co. Upset by Henry Ford's preoccupation with auto racing, his financial backers forced Ford out in 1902 and renamed the company, Cadillac Automobile Co. Henry Ford went on to found Ford Motor Co.

After Cadillac, this building was, in sequence, Orthwein Chevrolet, Tilton Gardner Motor Co., Central Star and Durant Sales Co. and in 1929
Cadillac Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, April 22, 2019
2. Cadillac Building Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
and 1930, the Jordan St. Louis Co. The Gardner automobile was manufactured in St. Louis. The Jordan automobile, although a pioneer of hydraulic brakes, was as famous for its flamboyant ads, as for the car itself.
 
Erected by The Horseless Carriage Club of Missouri and Hilliker Corporation.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceRoads & Vehicles. A significant historical year for this entry is 1919.
 
Location. 38° 38.129′ N, 90° 13.241′ W. Marker is in St. Louis, Missouri. Marker is on Locust Street east of North Garrison Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2920 Locust Street, Saint Louis MO 63103, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cole-Standard Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Ford Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Nash Building (about 400 feet away); Locomobile Building (about 700 feet away); Stearns-Knight Building (about 700 feet away); Stutz Building (about 700 feet away); Dodge-Reo Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Long Roads To Freedom (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Louis.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 29, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 91 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 29, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=133087

Paid Advertisement
Jul. 27, 2021