Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Covenant Blu-Grand Center in St. Louis, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Cadillac-Chrysler Building

Built in 1919

 
 
Cadillac-Chrysler Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, April 22, 2019
1. Cadillac-Chrysler Building Marker
Inscription.  This building, designed by Wm. A. Balsch, Architects, was built by Cadillac Automobile Co., of St. Louis, when it outgrew its building at 2920-22 Locust St. The dealership became Oliver Cadillac in 1927, and remained here through 1930.

During the time this building was a Cadillac dealership, Cadillac entered the "Classic Car" era and Cadillac sales doubled as its wheelbases grew, up to 152 inches in length on some models. Syncromesh transmissions and four wheel, vacuum assisted brakes were introduced and its V-8 motor grew to 353 cubic inches with 96 horsepower. By 1930, an optional, 452 cubic inch V-16 motor, producing 185 horsepower was available.

In 1927, Cadillac introduced the LaSalle, promoted as a "Companion Car to Cadillac". With Cadillac like quality, but slightly smaller, on a 125 inch wheelbase and with a smaller V-8 motor, the LaSalle was sold in Cadillac showrooms, until it was replaced by the Cadillac Model 61, in 1941.

From 1932 through 1948, this building housed the L.M. Stewart, Inc., Chrysler-Plymouth dealership. Chryslers ranged from upper middle price cars, to its Imperial model, which were
Cadillac-Chrysler Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, April 22, 2019
2. Cadillac-Chrysler Building Marker
direct competitors of Cadillac. In 1934, Chrysler introduced the Airflow, a marketing disappointment despite its revolutionary design and construction improvements including being the first American car with unitized construction.
 
Erected by The Horseless Carriage Club of Missouri and Hilliker Corporation.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceRoads & Vehicles.
 
Location. 38° 38.201′ N, 90° 13.567′ W. Marker is in Covenant Blu-Grand Center in St. Louis, Missouri. Marker is on Locust Street east of North Leonard Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3224 Locust Street, Saint Louis MO 63103, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Durant-Star Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Moon Building (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Camp Jackson (about 700 feet away); Dodge-Reo Building (about 800 feet away); Stutz Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Long Roads To Freedom (approx. 0.2 miles away); Stearns-Knight Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Locomobile Building (approx. 0.2 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 29, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 82 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 29, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 26, 2021