Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

St. Charles in St. Charles County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Circa 1894

714 N. 6th St.

 
 
Circa 1894 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, April 24, 2019
1. Circa 1894 Marker
Inscription.  
1830 - Part of Nathan Boone's survey of the Commons.

1837 - Part of Andrew Wilson's 999 years lease of the Common ground.

1870 - Lot number 6 of Boone's survey block 9 was subdivided between R. B. Fraysier and A. H. Edwards. Robert B. Fraysier owning 152 feet along 6th St. from Decatur.

1875 - Robert B. Fraysier died instestate.

1878 - Julia B. Fraysier, one of Robert's daughters, was awarded this ground along 6th St.

1888 - Julia B. Fraysier married Charles W. Wilson, a prominent attorney.

1894 - This house was built. It is a Victorian Fold House with a front gabic/side gable design. Other Victorian amenities at the time would have been narrow lath siding. It has Queen Anne porch trim, transoms, and decorative gable. The intended purpose of the house at 710 and 714 N. 6th St. was to use them as rental units for American Car and Foundry employees.

1895 - An abstract of this property says that the Wilsons borrowed money using "...the property conveyed being 7 feet of ground on which the two frame houses stand."

1922
Circa 1894 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, April 24, 2019
2. Circa 1894 Marker
-
The property was first sold for owner occupancy to Mr. Shirley Snyder. He was employed at American Car Foundry.

1938 - The property was purchased by Mrs. Mildred Richter nee Dingledine, the daughter of Mr. Robert Dingledine who had purchased the property at 710 N. 6th St. several years before. 714 was again used for rental until...

2002 - Mr. William Lawrence purchased 714 N. 6th St. for owner occupancy.

2013 - Mr. Lance Thehy purchased 714 N. 6th St. for owner occupancy.
 
Erected by Saint Charles Commons Neighborhood Association.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & SettlersWomen.
 
Location. 38° 47.357′ N, 90° 29.115′ W. Marker is in St. Charles, Missouri, in St. Charles County. Marker is on North 6th Street north of Decatur Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 714 North 6th Street, Saint Charles MO 63301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Circa 1904 (a few steps from this marker); 1900 (within shouting distance of this marker); Circa 1939 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 1902 (about 300 feet away);
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Circa 1906 (about 300 feet away); Circa 1940 (about 400 feet away); 612 North Sixth Street (about 400 feet away); 1889 (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Charles.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 1, 2019. It was originally submitted on May 1, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 111 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 1, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.
Paid Advertisement
Oct. 30, 2020