Cumberland Township in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Battery C, Third U.S. Artillery
Second Brigade - Horse Artillery - Cavalry Corps
— Army of the Potomac —
Second Brigade Horse Artillery
Battery C Third U.S. Artillery
Six 3 inch Rifles
Lieut. William D. Fuller Commanding
July 1 Proceeded under orders to Manchester Md. and picketed and held all roads until afternoon of July 3 when ordered to Emmitsburg and marched to Westminster.
July 4 Arrived at Emmitsburg.
Erected 1907 by Gettysburg National Military Park Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1931.
Location. 39° 48.281′ N, 77° 13.812′ W. Marker is in Cumberland Township, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. Marker is at the intersection of Taneytown Road (State Highway 134) and Granite School House Road, on the right when traveling south on Taneytown Road. Located east of Cemetery Ridge in Gettysburg National Military Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Michael Frey Farm (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); William Patterson Farm (about 500 feet Artillery Reserve (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sixth Ohio Cavalry (approx. 0.2 miles away); Batteries B & L, Second U.S. Artillery (approx. ¼ mile away); J. Hummelbaugh Farm (approx. ¼ mile away); First Brigade (approx. ¼ mile away); New York State Auxiliary Monument (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cumberland Township.
More about this marker. This tablet is one of many which, while placed on the Gettysburg battlefield, represent units not on the battlefield and discuss activities which took place well away from Gettysburg.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 5, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 949 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 5, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.