Cumberland Township in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Battery F, Fourth U.S. Artillery
Artillery Brigade - Twelfth Corps
Army of the Potomac
Battery F Fourth U.S. Artillery
Six 12 pounders
Lieut. Sylvanus T. Rugg commanding
July 1 Approached Gettysburg on the Baltimore Pike to Two Taverns and took position to counteract any movements of the Confederates towards Hanover. At noon moved to the Hanover Road and marched to within one and one half miles of Gettysburg.
July 2 Took position so as to command a gap between the First and Second Corps.
July 3 At 1 p.m. posted opposite the centre of the line of the Twelfth Corps and at 4.30 opened fire on the Confederates who had taken possession of a portion of the line of the Twelfth Corps the preceding night. Continued firing until after 10 a.m. when the Confederates were driven from the line. In the afternoon the battery was exposed to a severe shelling which passed over Cemetery Hill.
Casualties Wounded 1 man.
Erected 1907 by Gettysburg National Military Park Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is July 1, 1863.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Battery K, Fifth U.S. Artillery (a few steps from this marker); Artillery Brigade (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Henry Spangler Farm (about 500 feet away); The George Spangler Farm Civil War Hospital Site (about 700 feet away); The Gettysburg Address (approx. 0.2 miles away); Gettysburg National Military Park Museum & Visitor Center (approx. 0.2 miles away); 10th Maine Battalion (approx. 0.2 miles away); Prelude To Gettysburg / Gettysburg Showdown (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cumberland Township.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 6, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 791 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 6, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.