Titusville in Crawford County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
In 1907, J.M. Guffey Petroleum Company and Gulf Refining merged to form Gulf Oil Corporation. William Mellon managed Gulf Oil from Pittsburgh as president.
Gulf Oil spread throughout Western Pennsylvania as the nation's first drive-in gas stations.
Gulf expanded overseas with Kuwait Oil Company in 1934. After political scandal rocked the company in 1975, Gulf went through a period of turmoil eventually merging with Chevron in 1984.
Gulf Oil's former headquarters in Pittsburgh, today known as Gulf Tower, remains one of the major distinctive and recognizable features of the city.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
Location. 41° 37.086′ N, 79° 40.271′ W. Marker is in Titusville , Pennsylvania, in Crawford County. Marker is on Pennsylvania Route 8 when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Titusville PA 16354, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Spindletop (here, next to this marker); Sun Oil Co./Sunoco (here, next to this marker); Union 76 Gasoline (here, next to this marker); Drake Well (here, next to this marker); Exxon (here, next to this marker); Texaco (here, next to this marker); Pennzoil & South Penn (here, next to this marker); Sterling Oil (here, next to this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Titusville.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 13, 2019. It was originally submitted on May 9, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 114 times since then and 3 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on May 9, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?