Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Chesterfield in Chesterfield County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

1917 Courthouse

 
 
1917 Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, May 11, 2019
1. 1917 Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  The 1917 Courthouse stands on the footprint of the first Chesterfield County courthouse built in 1749 and demolished in 1917, against the will of local citizenry. This early preservation case was the subject of heated debate between concerned citizens wanting to save the historic courthouse by building a new one in Chester, and prominent residents led by county supervisor Walter A. Horner who argued successfully to retain the courthouse at its original location. The cornerstone of the new Courthouse was laid on October 26, 1917 during the annual county fair and was followed by a parade of one hundred drafted men encamped in the courthouse yard. On February 5, 1917, a contract was awarded to Vaughan Construction of Shawsville, VA, for a new brick building measuring 48 by 84 feet. An all-day picnic was held on May 2, 1918 when the doors of the new courthouse were thrown open for the first time. All schools were dismissed and pupils were thrown open for the first time. All schools were dismissed and pupils were urged to take part in the festive program. The first term of court opened in the new courthouse on May 13, 1918 when Judge Robert G. Southall
The Courthouse of 1917 image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, May 11, 2019
2. The Courthouse of 1917
took the bench.

The original Chesterfield County Courthouse was built in 1749 and was used until 1781 when it was burned by British troops under the command of Gen. William Phillips. It was rebuilt by 1783 and was used until it was torn down to make room for the new courthouse in 1917.
 
Erected 2017 by Chesterfield County Board of Supervisors.
 
Location. 37° 22.581′ N, 77° 30.434′ W. Marker is in Chesterfield, Virginia, in Chesterfield County. Marker can be reached from Iron Bridge Road (Virginia Route 10) west of Wagners Way, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10004 Iron Bridge Road, Chesterfield VA 23832, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Apostles of Religious Liberty (a few steps from this marker); Chesterfield Court House (within shouting distance of this marker); Veterans Memorial Wall (within shouting distance of this marker); World War I in Chesterfield County (within shouting distance of this marker); Chesterfield and Manchester Confederate Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Chesterfield County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Magnolia Grange
Chesterfield County Historic Landmark, Virginia Historic Landmark and National Register plaques image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, May 11, 2019
3. Chesterfield County Historic Landmark, Virginia Historic Landmark and National Register plaques
(about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church (Centralia) (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chesterfield.
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsWar, US Revolutionary
 

More. Search the internet for 1917 Courthouse.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 11, 2019. This page originally submitted on May 11, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 60 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 11, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.
Paid Advertisement