Near Eatonton in Putnam County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Georgia 4-H Clubs
Motto: “To Make the Best Better”
— ← —
4-H work led by County Extension Agents, became part of Agricultural Extension Service, University of Georgia in 1914. Membership increased to 126,927 by 1953.
The Georgia 4-H Center, located in Rock Eagle Park started June 1952, is a tribute to former members and be an educational training center for future members.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 117-1.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Education • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations. In addition, it is included in the 4-H Youth Program 🍀, and the Georgia Historical Society series lists. A significant historical date for this entry is June 22, 1952.
Location. 33° 25.321′ N, 83° 24.136′ W. Marker is near Eatonton, Georgia, in Putnam County. Marker is at the intersection of Rock Eagle Road NW and Unnamed Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Eatonton GA 31024, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Union Chapel United Methodist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); George Claud Adams (approx. 0.4 miles away); Rock Eagle Mound (approx. 1.7 miles away); Georgia 4-H Center (approx. 1.7 miles away); Site of the Home and Private School of Adiel Sherwood (approx. 5 miles away); Seven Islands Road (approx. 5.1 miles away); Springfield (approx. 5.2 miles away); Fairview (approx. 5.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eatonton.
Regarding Georgia 4-H Clubs. Marker is located in the Oconee National Forest. The prehistoric Rock Eagle Mound is part of the park which includes the 4-H Clubs camping and meeting facilities.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 4, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 7, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,189 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on November 7, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2. submitted on August 6, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 3. submitted on August 7, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.