Wadsworth in Medina County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Johnson House Museum / Carriage Factory
Carriage Factory. A carriage manufacturing business was located across the street from the Johnson House and is believed to have been established around 1838. Eventually acquired by Henry J. Traver, the business continued under various names and owners as Traver & Company, Stevenson, Browning & Steele, Browning & Steele, and R. Stevenson & Company. The firm’s office was the location of Wadsworth’s first election on April 4, 1866,
Erected 2017 by the Wadsworth Area Historical Society, the Whitlam family, Wadsworth American Legion Post 170, and The Ohio History Connection. (Marker Number 11-52.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 41° 1.629′ N, 81° 43.772′ W. Marker is in Wadsworth, Ohio, in Medina County. Marker is on High Street (Ohio Route 94) north of Maple Street, on the right. It is on the grounds of the Wadsworth Municipal Court. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 161 High St, Wadsworth OH 44281, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. General Elijah Wadsworth (a few steps from this marker); “Skypark” (approx. 3.6 miles away); Birth of Skypark (approx. 3.6 miles away); Veterans, Members, and Friends of Sky Park (approx. 3.6 miles away); Johnson’s Corners Slovenian Independent Society Home (approx. 5.8 miles away); PPG Industries in Barbeton (approx. 6 miles away); The Freedom Tree (approx. 6.2 miles away).
Also see . . . Johnson House. “The Johnson Historic House, as it is known today, was built around 1852 in the Vernacular Federal Architect Style. Henry J. Travis had the house built across the street from his carriage factory (1838) located just north of Grace Lutheran Church. The main part of this home has a barn stone foundation with stones two feet in thickness. Poplar trees were cut down and the logs now serve as floor joists. Some of the bark remains on the logs and can be seen in the basement.” (Submitted on May 18, 2019.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Science & Medicine •
More. Search the internet for Johnson House Museum / Carriage Factory.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 18, 2019. This page originally submitted on May 17, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 55 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 18, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.