Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wickliffe in Lake County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Coulby Park

 
 
Coulby Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 5, 2019
1. Coulby Park Marker
Inscription.  Dedicated in honor of Wickliffe citizens Harry and May Allen Coulby. Coulby Park is part of the original Coulby estate called Coulallenby. Harry C. Coulby (1865–1929) was known as Czar of the “Great Lakes,” was a partner in a shipping company with a fleet of ore boats on Lake Erie and was the first elected mayor of Wickliffe, serving from 1916–1921. May Allen Coulby , his wife, founded the Wickliffe Well Baby Dispensary.
 
Location. 41° 35.767′ N, 81° 28.627′ W. Marker is in Wickliffe, Ohio, in Lake County. Marker can be reached from Ridge Road (Ohio Route 84) just east of Bishop Road (Ohio Route 84), on the right when traveling west. It is just past the Wickliffe Police Department on the driveway to city hall, on the left. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 28730 Ridge Road, Wickliffe OH 44092, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Henry Kelsey Devereux and “The Spirit of ’76” (approx. 0.2 miles away); Greenwood Farm (approx. 1.9 miles away); The Griffith Disaster, 1850
Coulby Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 5, 2019
2. Coulby Park Marker
(approx. 3.1 miles away); The Pleasant Valley Road Bridge (approx. 3.9 miles away); Euclid v. Ambler Realty Site (approx. 4 miles away); Four Institutions of Learning (approx. 4.7 miles away); The Willoughby University of Lake Erie Medical College 1834-1847 (approx. 4.7 miles away); Willoughby Veterans Memorial (approx. 4.7 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Coulby Mansion. “Construction was started in 1913 and completed in 1915 at a cost of over $1 million dollars. Around the mansion are formal gardens, a pond, the former cow barn, a gatehouse and a public park with a nature trail. At the turn of the century, Wickliffe was home to many millionaire businessmen, including Harry C. Coulby, Fergus B. Squire, Frank Rockefeller and the Corrigan family. Until 1954 when the City of Wickliffe purchased Coulby for its municipal offices, the house had several other owners, including being used as a Catholic girls’ school. Thankfully, previous owners did not damage many of the homes original fixtures, such as chandeliers, skylight, wallpaper, and hand-carved woodwork and hardware.” (Submitted on May 21, 2019.) 
 
Categories. Charity & Public WorkIndustry & CommerceWaterways & Vessels
 
The Coulby Mansion, Coulallenby, now Wickliffe City Hall image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 5, 2019
3. The Coulby Mansion, Coulallenby, now Wickliffe City Hall
This view looks north, towards the lake.
The Coulby Mansion, Coulallenby, now Wickliffe City Hall image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 5, 2019
4. The Coulby Mansion, Coulallenby, now Wickliffe City Hall
This view is northeast, showing the south and west facades. The brick wall hides city hall’s parking lots.
 

More. Search the internet for Coulby Park.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 21, 2019. This page originally submitted on May 21, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 72 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 21, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement