Friendsville in Garrett County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
First National Bank, Leslie Friend Store & Military Honors
Leslie Friend built the largest department store in the county in the 1890's where the First United Bank now stands. Leslie also helped charter and built the First National Bank of Friendsville in 1902, now the Friend Family Association Heritage Museum (both buildings pictured above). Friendsville became a bustling hub for the farmers and families in the surrounding countryside and an important center of commerce.
Business was booming with the railroad bringing salesmen as well as merchandise for the local stores to sell. Barrels made at Kendall were shipped out and poles for mine supports were sent to the mines in Pennsylvania. Records show lumber and coal were shipped to WV, VA, PA, DE, NY and Ohio.
The department store was noted for its "stitch Gothic' ornamentation and classic 19th century architecture. The store failed during the Great Depression and from 1930-1963 the building was partitioned and one side used as a Post Office. The building was eventually torn down around 1970. Ornamentation was saved and is on display at the Friend Family Association Heritage Museum. Some ornamental parts of the store were
"For a small town Friendsville has had a long and impressive record of service to our country. Available records show five Revolutionary War veterans buried in the area, two from the War of 1812, 63 from the Civil War, 2 from the Spanish American War, 47 from WW I, 141 from WW II, 31 for the Korean War, 17 from Vietnam and 4 from the Iraq War. The VFW post 10077 places 375 flags on graves in the Friendsville Area."
Erected by Maryland Heritage Area Authority. (Marker Number 12.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Maryland, Friendsville History Tour series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1902.
Location. 39° 39.82′ N, 79° 24.342′ W. Marker is in Friendsville, Maryland, in Garrett County. Marker is on Maple Street west of 1st Avenue, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 261 Maple Street, Friendsville MD 21531, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Friendsville Honor Roll (here, next to this marker); The Unique Milling Company (a few steps from this marker); Yough Motors, Confectionary and Bandstand Morris Avenue and Maple Street (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Railroad Era and Hotels (about 300 feet away); Walnut Street and First Avenue – F.G. Fox & Sons (about 500 feet away); Friendsville Commerce, Custer's and Ryland's Stores (about 600 feet away); Riverside Hotel & Knights of Pythias (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Friendsville.
More about this marker.
Friendsville Bank notes were in circulation until the crash of 1929.
Leslie Friend outside his department store.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 23, 2022. It was originally submitted on May 25, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 164 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 25, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.