Clinton in Laurens County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
A Piece of Musgrove's Mill
Edward Musgrove built his grist mill at that location for the water to power the mill, the proximity to a main road and its location at a place to cross the river. During the mid-1700's the demand was high among backcountry residents for a means to grind their crops without having to make a trip that could take days to complete.
In the early settlements of the upstate, grist mills were built along the abundant rivers in the area. Early mills were powered by water with a water wheel that would turn the millstones, usually placed in pairs-an upper and lower-that caused the grain and corn to be ground on the bed stone. Grooves and slats were cut into the grinding stone by hand to help with the crushing of the grain.
Because of the location of Musgrove’s Mill, the British became interested in it during the American Revolution. British and Tory troops made this a central point for the movement of supplies, fording the river and in helping them establish control over transportation and communication
On August 19, 1780, Patriot forces faced an overwhelming number of British and Tory troops in a fierce battle that resulted in a Patriot victory.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary. A significant historical date for this entry is August 19, 1780.
Location. 34° 28.601′ N, 81° 52.85′ W. Marker is in Clinton, South Carolina, in Laurens County. Marker is on North Broad Street (State Road 56) north of Academy Street, on the right when traveling north. Marker and subject millstone are located near the sidewalk, at the northwest corner of the Clinton Museum grounds, facing North Broad Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 North Broad Street, Clinton SC 29325, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Broad Street Methodist Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Eugene Blakely Sloan (1922-1969) - Eugene Blakely Sloan (about 600 feet away); Clinton Confederate Monument (approx. ¼ mile away); Clinton Veterans Monument (approx. ¼ mile away); Henry Clinton Young (approx. ¼ mile away); William Plumer Jacobs, D.D., LL.D. (approx. half a mile away); Eugene Blakely Sloan (approx. half a mile away); Malcolm A. MacDonald (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clinton.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 30, 2019. It was originally submitted on May 27, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 128 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 29, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.