Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Burton in Geauga County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Great Geauga County Fair

 
 
Great Geauga County Fair Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 7, 2019
1. Great Geauga County Fair Marker
Inscription.  The Great Geauga county Fair is the longest continuously operating county fair in Ohio. The fair is a major county gathering event each year, pulling together people from the whole county. Geauga’s settlers imported the idea of the county fair with them from New England. The fair’s parent organization, the Geauga County Agricultural and Manufacturing Society, began holding fairs on Chardon Square in 1823. Since then, the Geauga County Fair has served as a gathering place and form of education to promote local agriculture and introduce farmers to new farming developments and each other. Controversy arose between 1840 and 1854 after Lake County ceded and Chardon, Claridon, and Burton vied for the permanent fair grounds. Burton’s proposal was accepted. Improvements began immediately, and the fair grew quickly. The Great Geauga County Fair continues as a time-honored tradition.
 
Erected 2003 by the Ohio Bicentennial Commission and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 5-28.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection
Great Geauga County Fair Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 7, 2019
2. Great Geauga County Fair Marker
marker series.
 
Location. 41° 28.62′ N, 81° 8.669′ W. Marker is in Burton, Ohio, in Geauga County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of North Cheshire Street (County Route 3) and Berkshire Lane, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14373 N Cheshire St, Burton OH 44021, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Welton Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); Civil War Cannon (approx. 0.3 miles away); Burton, Ohio-First Permanent Settlement in Geauga County / The Village Green (approx. 0.3 miles away); Burton Congregational Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); In Commemoration of Rev. Joseph Badger (approx. 0.3 miles away); Erected to the Memory of the Soldiers of the American Revolution (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Second High School / The Burton Public Library (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Burton (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Burton.
 
Categories. EducationParks & Recreational AreasSettlements & Settlers
 
Domestic Arts Hall, Building 5 image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 7, 2019
3. Domestic Arts Hall, Building 5
The green sign on the door reads “First building built 1856, rebuilt 1889. Entered in the National Registry of Historical Places in 1979.” Marker is out of frame on the right.
 

More. Search the internet for Great Geauga County Fair.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 28, 2019. This page originally submitted on May 28, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 38 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 28, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement