Miami Beach in Miami-Dade County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Egyptian Filling Station
The Lummus Brothers of Ocean Beach Realty Co. platted an addition to the Ocean Beach Subdivision in 1913. The area was sparsely settled with small seasonal rooming houses and 2 story homes. In 1926 the NW corner of Collins Avenue and 14th street was approved for a filling station. This Egyptian Revival 'filling station' stood from 1926 through 1971. The original building as pictured featured lotus, ziggurat and other Egyptian Revival motifs inherent to its pilasters, portals and prominent twin-columned East facing portico. The discovery of King Tut's Tomb in 1922 had inspired a particular craze for all things Egyptian that was assimilated into the Art Deco decorative design of the time. The original architect is unknown. The general contractors were Gunn & Goll as founded in Miami in 1924. They subsequently built many upscale residences on Miami Beach along Pine Tree Drive and Collins Avenue.
The original Egyptian Revival structure was subject to numerous diminishing renovations over the years. This building was demolished in April 1971. The ownership legacy proceeded through Amoco and BP Oil to the Walgreen Company. Following extensive
Erected 2014 by Walgreen Company.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the Art Deco series list. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1971.
Location. 25° 47.138′ N, 80° 7.854′ W. Marker is in Miami Beach, Florida, in Miami-Dade County. Marker is on Collins Avenue north of 14th Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Miami Beach FL 33139, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Barbara Baer Capitman (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Barbara Baer Capitman (about 700 feet away); Casa Casuarina (approx. ¼ mile away); Alfredo Gonzalez, Sr. (approx. ¼ mile away); Barbara Baer Capitman – Historic Preservationist (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Church on Miami Beach (approx. 0.4 miles away); South Beach Art Deco District (approx. 0.4 miles away); 209 9th Street / 900 Collins Avenue (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Miami Beach.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 1, 2019, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 78 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 1, 2019, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.