Cincinnati in Hamilton County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Columbia Presbyterian & Fulton Cemeteries / William Brown
Columbia Presbyterian & Fulton Cemeteries
The cemetery dates to 1794 and is comprised of two adjacent cemeteries: Columbia Presbyterian Cemetery and Fulton Cemetery. Another cemetery, the Fulton Mechanics Cemetery, had been in Fulton, a village along the Ohio River and a center of boat-building and steamboat construction during the first half of 19th century. Together, the cemeteries are the burial places of Jacob Allen, John Campbell, John Langdon, and other veterans of the Revolutionary War. It is also believed that William Brown is buried here. Brown was one of three soldiers during the Revolutionary War to receive the Badge of Military Merit, predecessor of the Purple Heart. The cemetery was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.
William Brown settled in Columbia, Hamilton County in 1789. He was born in Connecticut in 1759 or 1760. As the American Revolution began in 1775, Brown enlisted in Connecticut Line of Continental Army and rose to the rank of sergeant. Brown saw much combat, including battles at Stony Point, New York in 1779 and the siege of Yorktown, Virginia in
Erected 2017 by The Society of Colonial Wars in the State of Ohio, Cincinnati Preservation Association, and The Ohio History Connection. (Marker Number 89-31.)
Topics and series. This memorial is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Patriots & Patriotism • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list.
Location. 39° 6.385′ N, 84° 25.993′ W. Marker is in Cincinnati, Ohio, in Hamilton County. Memorial can be reached from Ohio River Trail. Marker is on the Ohio River Trail east of Carrel Street between US 50 and US 52. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4180 Dumont St, Cincinnati OH 45226, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Columbia Baptist Church and Meeting House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pioneer PillarColumbia Baptist Cemetery / Columbia (approx. ¼ mile away); Garard/Martin Station, 1790 (approx. 1.4 miles away); Cherry Tree Grove (approx. 2 miles away); St. Marys World War Marker (approx. 2.3 miles away); The Cincinnati Observatory (approx. 2.3 miles away); Miss Doherty's College Preparatory School for Girls (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cincinnati.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 10, 2019. It was originally submitted on June 6, 2019, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 222 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 6, 2019, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.