Cincinnati in Hamilton County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Columbia Baptist Cemetery / Columbia
First Settlement in Hamilton County
Columbia Baptist Cemetery
On the higher ground at the end of this lane is Columbia Baptist Cemetery, the last resting place of many of the pioneers who came with Major Benjamin Stites and founded Columbia, November 18, 1788, the first settlement in Hamilton County and the second in the “Old Northwest”. Here in 1792 was built the meeting house for the Columbia Baptist Church, organized in 1790. the first Protestant Church in the Northwest Territory. Land for the cemetery was part of Major Stites’ purchase and was deeded by him to the Baptists of Columbia Township.
In this vicinity Major Benjamin Stites and 26 men and women from New Jersey founded the town of Columbia, November 18, 1788. Major Stites, intending to establish a great city, had purchased in the previous year, 20,000 acres of land at the mouth of the Little Miami River. Columbia was typical of many of the early wilderness settlements. It consisted of a cluster of log houses protected from Indian attack by a stockade and strategically placed block- houses. Beyond the town to the east, the pioneers planted
Erected 1953 by Sesquicentennial Year of Ohio Statehood by The Historical and Philosophical Society of Ohio Sponsored by Albert P. Strietmann.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 39° 6.368′ N, 84° 25.728′ W. Marker is in Cincinnati, Ohio, in Hamilton County. Marker is on Wilmer Avenue. Marker is in Pioneer Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 333 Wilmer Ave, Cincinnati OH 45226, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pioneer Pillar (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Columbia Baptist Church and Meeting House (within shouting distance of this marker); Columbia Presbyterian & Fulton Cemeteries / William Brown (approx. ¼ mile away); “Pigmeat” Jarrett (approx. 0.9 miles away); Hon. Henry Stanbery (approx. 1.2 miles away in Kentucky); Garard / Martin Station, 1790 (approx. 1.2 miles away); Cherry Tree Grove (approx. 1.9 miles away); Highland United Methodist Church (approx. 2 miles away in Kentucky). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cincinnati.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 7, 2019. It was originally submitted on June 6, 2019, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 208 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 6, 2019, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.