Tarlton in Pickaway County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Major General William Sooy Smith
Major General William Sooy Smith was born in Tarlton on July 22, 1830. He attended Ohio University and supported himself throughout his college undergraduate career, graduating in 1849. He then entered the United States Military Academy at West Point to pursue engineering and graduated 6th in the class of 1853. In 1857, Smith established the private engineering firm Parkinson & Smith and made the first surveys for the international bridge across the Niagara River near Niagara Falls. At the outbreak of the Civil War, Smith joined the 13th Ohio Infantry, winning the commission of colonel in June 1861. After early victories in western Virginia, he was promoted to brigadier general in April 1862 for his gallant and meritorious service at the Battle of Shilo.
After brilliant service in the Vicksburg campaign, Smith was promoted to major general and became chief of cavalry for the Department of Tennessee and later the Military Division of Mississippi, working under both General Ulysses S. Grant and General William T.
Erected 2003 by Village of Tarleton and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 11-65.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Military • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list.
Location. 39° 33.349′ N, 82° 46.593′ W. Marker is in Tarlton, Ohio, in Pickaway County. Marker can be reached from Main Street (Ohio Route 159), on the right when traveling east. Marker is in front of Nye's Tavern, between German and Harrison Streets. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tarlton OH 43156, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as Zane's Trace (here, next to this marker); Treaty of Camp Charlotte (approx. 3.8 miles away); Camp Charlotte (approx. 3.8 miles away); Pioneer Lutherans (approx. 6.3 miles away); Amanda Veterans Memorial (approx. 6.7 miles away); Camp Circleville (approx. 8.3 miles away); Watt-Groce-Fickardt House (approx. 9.2 miles away); High Street Cemetery War Memorial (approx. 9.3 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 11, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,212 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 11, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.