Union in Union County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Jefferson Davis Dined in This House
President of the Confederate
States of America
Dined in this House,
The former home of
William H. Wallace
April 28, 1865
Erected by Patriotic and Civil Organizations of Union, S.C.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
Location. 34° 42.933′ N, 81° 37.133′ W. Marker is in Union, South Carolina, in Union County. Marker is on East Main Street, on the right when traveling east. Marker is located in front of the house. The house is also known as the General William Wallace House. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 418 East Main Street, Union SC 29379, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Union County Veterans Memorial (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Culp-Beaty Hall (approx. 0.3 miles away); Union County Confederate Monument (approx. 0.3 miles away); Union County Revolutionary War (approx. 0.4 miles away); John Pratt Episcopal Church Of The Nativity (approx. 0.4 miles away); Union Community Hospital (approx. 0.4 miles away); Presbyterian Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Union County Jail (approx. 0.4 miles away); Union Mill (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Union.
Also see . . .
1. Colonel William H. Wallace. He was occupied as planter in Union county until 1857, when he became the proprietor of the Union Times newspaper, and in 1859 began the practice of law at Union. (Submitted on March 11, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. Brig. Gen. William Henry Wallace. Brigadier-General William Henry Wallace was born in Laurens county, March 24, 1827, son of Daniel Wallace, for several terms a member of the legislature, a major-general of militia, and from 1849 to 1853 representative in Congress. (Submitted on March 11, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. The General William Wallace House (418 E. Main Street)
"The two-story General William Wallace House has been remodeled over the years, but still retains its original Palladian doorway. Wallace was speaker of the House of Representatives during several months in 1876 and 1877 when South Carolina had two governors and two groups claiming to be the legislature. The state Supreme Court declared Wade Hampton winner in the 1876 gubernatorial race against the presiding governor Daniel Chamberlain, a former Union carpetbagger. Chamberlain refused to accept the decision and the state operated under a dual government until 1877 when newly elected President Hayes withdrew all federal troops from South Carolina. Without their support, Chamberlain was forced to back down." (Source: South Carolina: A Day at a Time by Caroline W. Todd and Sidney Wait, page 329.)
— Submitted November 11, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 15, 2019. It was originally submitted on November 11, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,820 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 11, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.