Townsend in McIntosh County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
»— 10 →
The fort long ago ceased to exist, but the old military road which formerly ran between Savannah and Fort Barrington is still known as the Old Barrington Road. Barrington Ferry, important ferry since Colonial Days, was in use until the early years of the Twentieth Century.
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 095-2.)
Marker series. This marker is included in Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 31° 34.621′ N, 81° 34.009′ W. Marker is in Townsend, Georgia, in McIntosh County. Marker is on State Highway 57, on the right when traveling south. Marker is 3.7 miles north of Townsend, Ga at the McIntosh - Long County line. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Townsend GA 31331, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rice Hope (approx. 8.7 miles away); John Houstoun McIntosh (approx. 8.7 miles away); Old Court House at Sapelo Bridge (approx. 8.8 miles away); Capture of 26 Men in 1864 (approx. 9.3 miles away); Old Meeting House (was approx. 9.8 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Old Barrington Road (was approx. 9.9 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Woodmanston Plantation (approx. 10 miles away); William Bartram Trail (approx. 10 miles away).
Regarding Fort Barrington. Today, time has claimed the wooden fort, and the river has eroded half the earthworks. A hunting club owns the remaining earthworks, and unfortunately a private boat ramp runs down the middle of the fort. Nearby, Barrington County Park is open to the general public for boat launches, tent or RV camping, or a quiet picnic.
The historic fort is on private property that
Categories. • Colonial Era • Forts, Castles • Notable Places •
More. Search the internet for Fort Barrington.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 12, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,183 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 12, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.