New Castle in Rockingham County, New Hampshire — The American Northeast (New England)
This building, fortified with steel window shutters and steel-plated doors, was built in 1901 as a store house for underwater mines. By 1908, mine casements were located here at Fort Constitution, at Fort Stark, and Fort Foster as part of the First Mine Command.
Today the Mines Building is used as a sea water research laboratory by the University of New Hampshire.
Location. 43° 4.313′ N, 70° 42.559′ W. Marker is in New Castle, New Hampshire, in Rockingham County. Marker can be reached from Sullivan Lane ¼ mile east of Wentworth Road. Marker is located at Fort Constitution, near the northeast corner of the fort grounds, overlooking the subject building from the east. Touch for map. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Portcullis (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort William and Mary Commeration Marker (about 300 feet away); Walbach Tower (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Walbach Tower (approx. 0.2 miles away); William and Mary Raids (approx. ¼ mile away); Frost Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); New Castle Congregational Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); New Park [New Shipyard Mall] (approx. 1.6 miles away in Maine). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Castle.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, World II • Waterways & Vessels •
More. Search the internet for Mines Building.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 15, 2019. This page originally submitted on June 15, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 79 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 15, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.