Hamilton Dock: Refurbishment and Restoration
Hamilton Dock was refurbished in 1948, when a new 25-inch (64cm) concrete floor was laid. It remained in use until the 1990s, but then fell into decline.
In 2009, work began to restore the dock, now a NIEA Scheduled Monument and the oldest visible legacy of ship building on Queen's Island. The dock was drained and a new watertight gate was built to replace the caisson at its entrance. The caisson, an important industrial artefact, was moved from its original position to prevent further corrosion from the sea.
The pump house's concrete cladding, which had been applied during the Second World War to fortify it against bombing raids, was removed to reveal original brick and stonework. The boiler and engine house section of the building was re-built.
The original cobbles and square setts have been lifted and relaid, while the stone flagging and stone-work below the former water line of the dock basin has been carefully cleaned and re-pointed.
The dock is now preserved as a symbol of Queen's Island's pivotal role in the story of Belfast.
[Photo captions, from top to bottom, read]
Top Hamilton Dock before
Above A crane was used to put the new caisson in place in 2009
Above The pump house's original stonework was revealed as a layer of concrete cladding was removed
Below Workmen pumping concrete to strengthen the floor of the dock in the 1940s
Left Cobbles were laid along the dockside during its construction in the 1860s
Below During the restoration, the cobbles were lifted so that new service ducts could be laid and the surface could be levelled. Then they were carefully replaced in their original positions.
Above The Harbour Commissioners meticulously planned the laying of a new strip of concrete on the dock floor in the late 1940s. Each section was pumped according to this prescribed timetable.
Hamilton Graving Dock had become derelict before it was given a new lease of life. It has now been carefully restored to its original splendour.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1948.
Location. 54° 36.394′ N, 5° 54.677′ W. Marker is in Belfast, Northern Ireland. Marker is on Queens Road, on the left when traveling north. Part of the Titanic Belfast complex. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Hamilton Dock, Belfast, Northern Ireland BT3 9DT, United Kingdom. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other
Also see . . .
1. The Hamilton Graving Dock. (Submitted on June 17, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Shipbuilding in Belfast. (Submitted on June 17, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 17, 2019. It was originally submitted on June 17, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 85 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 17, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.